Employment opportunity: Photography & Studio Junior
Salary: £16,000.00 to £22,000.00 / year
MAIN PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF THE ROLE
We are looking for a full time trainee photographer and studio assistant in a small but busy photography studio. This role needs someone with previous commercial experience, whether that be in a similar junior / assistant role, or via several internships. The more experience the better, but we are expecting to teach. You will also need your own transport.
You will work directly with the two business owners (photographer and studio manager / photographer), as well our retoucher and marketing manager.
There is great scope for growth and we hope to employ someone looking for a long term role.
We are a small photography business that combines the experience of two individuals – photographer and designer. Our growth has been fast, and our client base is increasing each month. We run a small busy studio just outside Lewes, handling shooting, retouching and supply of thousands of images per month.
We shoot mainly products, with a particular emphasis on food & drink photography. We also have a number of clients in the fashion, interior and lifestyle industries.
We shoot images for stock, and our own personal projects and libraries.
We are not shooting glamorous high-end advertising campaigns every day. It is very often creative however, as around 50% of our work is styled / lifestyle work that needs much more than just a technical brain. This is a role for a hard working creative rather than a photography diva – it’s not the right job if you’re ready to be the next Mario Testino!
This is a solid stepping stone to becoming a proficient commercial photographer who can handle all types of shoots, some more technical than others – from glassware to jewellery, clothing to Amazon products. We are always busy and we are an easy-going team that enjoys having a laugh.
We are looking for a confident junior to join our team. We don’t expect you to know everything yet, but at the end of a training period we expect you to be a fully proficient photographer who can take on (primarily) studio photography jobs without much support or instruction. While you may not have all the technical know how, you will have had experience in a commercial studio, you’ll understand all the basics of studio photography inside and out, and you’ll have an in-built awareness of creativity and composition.
As a small team, nobody is exempt from mucking in with general tasks – so you will be expected to make tea, pack boxes, hoover the studio and stack shelves – because we all do!
- Preparing jobs ready for shoots.
- Making sure that you fully understand the job brief and liaising with the studio manager to clarify any details.
- Sourcing any props needed for lifestyle sets, anticipating any equipment to get ready and prepared.
- Liaising directly with clients about their requirements.
- Ensuring all products are lit correctly, efficiently and creatively.
- Produce high quality images, ensuring they are correctly exposed and colour consistent.
- Prepare sets, checking that all equipment is fully functional, setting up appropriate lighting and keeping accurate daily shot records.
- Responsible for care and upkeep of the studio, equipment, props and supplies.
- Crop and process all images, maintaining file size specification.
- Perform quality assurance on all images.
- Uploading/downloading images on and off FTP site.
Keep the office tidy and assist with general office tasks as needed including steaming clothing in preparation for a shoot, cleaning or unpacking products ready to shoot, packing products, general tidying, and ad hoc administration.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email email@example.com with a covering letter and your CV.